23 February 2009

I DID IT!!!

The Fun Run at the Son's school was totally hard, completely fun and amazingly satisfying!

Not only was his was my 6 month goal but it was my first competitive athletic event ever, if you don't count Field Day in elementary school and I did it. I finished 109 out of about 200, I think that's pretty good.

The only disappointing part was that my family couldn't be there. My Son got a stomach virus the day before and had to stay home but he cheered me on over the phone before hand and he was the first person I talked to when I was finished. He had high hopes that I would win the entire race but I just wanted to finish and I did. I brought him home a medal for being the best inspiration ever.

The race itself was pretty tough I have to say, the course had a lot of hills, a few not very long but quite steep or with a curve in the middle. There was also a group of guest runners who threw me off a little at the beginning with their amazing speed. I knew this group was serious as they all stood there in worn out Newton running shoes which are only available at one place in Costa Rica. We were all at the same point for the start and within 10 seconds they were already 500 meters ahead and hitting the first corner. It started to throw my pace off and then i just settled in and reminded myself not to watch other runners. I kept my pace comfortable and never had to walk like many other people did.

I will admit I did look back a few times to see what was happening behind me but it was mostly to make sure that the ambulance wasn't right behind me. I didn't want to be the very last runner and I wasn't.

The entire experience was really fun and I can't wait to do it again next year. I figure if I can be in the middle group of finishers after 6 months of training I should be able to crack the top 50 after a year of training.

I have another race in March, a 5k.
I'm going to stick with that distance for awhile.

xoxo
martha

Digg! Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

dhimas130184 said...

amazing blog, i love this blog, keep going i will visit back.
see my blog please at http://gohealthcare.blogspot.com