18 September 2008

milestone!

I hit my first personal milestone LITERALLY with RUNNING today. When I went out for my regular walk/speed intervals this morning I ended up running a mile...with the jogger stroller...and I didn't die....and it felt great afterward!!!

I really just took my time and once I got to the mile mark I walked the rest of the way. I felt like I could go farther but I didn't want to jinx it or overtrain as they say in running circles. It was super satisfying and I can't wait to get out there again tomorrow.

Oh! Also today I have a short interview with a running friend, Connie O, she lives up in the Boston area. She's a real runner, she does races and goes fast. 

So here it is, 6 Questions with Connie O.

1. How long have you been running?

A: About 30 years

2. What type of races do you like to participate in? 

A: 10Ks but I did a 1/2 marathon this spring and liked it.

3. How did you get started?

A: I had started grad school and found that I was needing larger clothing sizes.Luckily, my pub friends were mostly runners and they got me started.   [Did you guess?  ;-)  ]

4. What suggestions do you have for beginners?

A: Crazy as it seems, get over 2 miles, my suggestion is to start running with walk breaks to get the mileage up.  There's a wall at 2 miles that you have to get beyond to start enjoying the experience.

5. What's your favorite running shoe?

A:  Good question.  I'm mostly using Asics but I'm not loving the new models all that much.

6. What's your favorite running or sports related website?

A:  coolrunning.com and the Runner's World site   Oh yes, and my running club's site Shamrock R. C.  

Thanks Connie! Those are great tips. I'm a New Balance girl myself, we also don't have Asics in Costa Rica but even so, I love NB. The speed intervals, walk/run, really do work. That's been a big part of my training so far and it definitely is the way to go for beginners. I can't wait to hit the 2 mile mark, someday soon I hope!!

more later!
martha

Digg! Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! That's great you have little Susie to support you through and through the running and jeans marathon.

-Camille