15 September 2008

running and stretching, stretching and running

We are still on a holiday mini-break down here in CR. Today is a national holiday and we decided to stay at the beach until tomorrow. 


However, this has not stopped me from keeping up with my exercise routine. For the past 2 days I have made sure to get a run/jog/walk in, early, it gets pretty hot, pretty fast.  And I have been doing some yoga at night by the fire.

In preparing for this months challenge, Run 3 Miles with Ease, I picked up a copy of ChiRunning by Danny Dreyer. I like it, it's easy to understand and it makes sense. It's all about moving from your core, same with Total Immersion.  In fact both books are written in a similar style and are published by the same company. They are definitely good companion books if you are into running and swimming.

Dreyer points out the ways in which Tai Chi's principles of balancing movements can be applied to running and how this combination can prevent injury and make for a more satisfying experience.

So far I agree with his philosophy. I have been incorporating the techniques into my run and am seeing positive results. I highly recommend this book for beginners and suggest it to advanced runners as a way to brush up on technique or how to work through and avoid injury.

enjoy!
martha

Digg! Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: