30 August 2008

swim, swam, swum

I love to swim, I've been swimming for as long as I can remember, everyone in my family swims, we all went to summer camp for swimming, swim, swim, swim! So you can imagine how happy SUPER EXCITED! I was when my gym moved into a new location and installed a pool. 

Well guess what, swimming around a lake all sumer is a bit different than swimming laps for fitness. Swimming in a lap pool can exhaust you after one length if you don't know technique, it really can. And because I'm the kind of person who likes to get a whole bunch of books on a subject once it captures my interest I went straight to the interweb to find out what's what with swimming these days.

What I discovered was Total Immersion.

Total Immersion is a swimming technique developed by Terry Laughlin, a former competitive swimmer and current swim coach.
He breaks down the process of swimming freestyle, or crawl as many of us call it, into simple parts, imprinting them into your muscle/body memory and then putting them all together to have  a super efficient and smooth swim movement.

I started reading the book and then found out there was a DVD which goes with it. The DVD is great because you can see the whole thing in action which is super helpful as reading about how a swim drill works doesn't always make sense.

So I went to the gym today and tried to implement the ideas I learned in Lesson One and I have to say it really works. I did several of the beginning drills and the next thing I knew I had been swimming for an hour. I think swimming, and trying to swim well, will make a nice addition to my current routine.

I have found that if I can exercise with a point, a goal or destination I can stick to it better. Just like the DJSW, I haven't wanted to stop doing it because I want to hit that 1 month mark and check my progress. I need to give myself little challenges in order to keep going and trying to accomplish all of the Total Immersion technique drills will definitely keep me busy for a couple of months.

More later.
martha

NEXT UP--->FIBER


Digg! Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: