14 October 2008

viva video

At home workouts can be really satisfying and beneficial. I know a lot of people who just don't like the atmosphere of the gym, which is totally understandable, and so they workout almost exclusively at home. If you're trying to develop a serious and diverse routine at home it can be really fun to incorporate workout videos.

Personally I love workout videos, I have a nice little collection, some of them I have had for years and still keep them in rotation. Lately I have been trying to update my library and honestly keep up with some of the fantastic stuff going on in fitness. Recently I have been really enjoying the Jillian Michaels DVD collection, they are super hard and satisfying. 

In the past I was often frustrated when I would try a new video. I would feel really uncoordinated and by the end, overtired and annoyed. What I discovered over time is that to really enjoy the experience you need to prepare for each video.

Here are a few tips to help you prepare for a new workout:

1. Watch the video all the way through before you try to follow along. This way you learn the rhythm, what equipment might be needed and what the terminology used is. There's nothing worse than popping in a DVD and finding out you need a weighted bar for half of it when you don't own one.

2. Be rested when you try a new video. Don't have the first time be when you're tired or at the end of the night. 

3. Have water and a towel nearby. Even when a video is short or it looks like it's in your range of ability you don't want to stop midway because you're sweating really hard or super thirsty.

4. Don't give up. Sometimes when first trying out a video it might seem too hard or complicated but it could be because it's new and you need to practice it. Give each new video at least a 5 day chance. Practice it for five days and if you still have problems with it then dump it but give anything new a decent chance.

5. Have fun. Take your time, do the modifications when available and ease into it. It should be enjoyable and satisfying to try out new moves. 

I hope you find these tips useful.  Email me with any tips you use to make a new workout more enjoyable.  Remember a diverse workout routine leads to faster results because you use the entire body more frequently, so grab a DVD and mix it up.

xoxo
martha

Digg! Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: